With a definite plan now, we felt more relaxed about the days to come. Both Niki and I wanted to get onto the internet to update blogs and such like, as well as sort out the mounting number of photo's we've taken so far. We decided to take a rest day and catch up on everything before heading off again.
Waking early yesterday we were keen to get underway. It had rained all night, quite heavily, but the sky had cleared and although the ground was still wet it promised to be a hot, sunny day and we quickly packed away and set off. Back on the A41 we headed towards Wagga Wagga (pronounced Wogga Wogga) and hoped by the end of the day to have reached Hay or even Mildura, in New South Wales's outback. It wasn't to be though. As we approached Narrandera Niki smelt burning, but despite stopping and looking at the obvious, nothing seemed wrong. It was lunchtime and we decided to stop at the first rest stop after Narrandera for a sandwich. As we stopped Niki again smelt burning, I checked the tires, then the oil and water, everything seemed okay, but as I tried to start the engine again the fan and engine belts made an awful noise. The oil light didn't go out and although I knew the oil was topped up, I didn't want to risk driving any more, I phoned the hire companies support section who arranged for a breakdown truck to come and have a look. The mechanic tried to start the engine and immediately the belts snapped, the water pump had sized solid. The camper was loaded onto the breakdown truck who took us back to Narrandera. Once in the garage it was obvious that we wouldn't be going anywhere with this camper in a hurry. Further calls to the support section had us book into a nearby motel, while they tried to sort out a replacement vehicle.
This morning having had no updates from Hippie Campers I tried the support team, with little success, we were getting a little irate by this time, not knowing what was happening. Eventually a phone call from the company told us a replacement vehicle had been found and would be sent out from Melbourne, some 5 hours drive away. It was already gone 11 am so there was no way we were going to be back on the road until tomorrow, the company booked us in for a second night in the motel. Hopefully by tomorrow morning we will be good to go, fingers crossed.
It seems I've been travelling for most of my life.
Follow me on Facebook